Friday, December 30, 2011

An Ameteur's Guide To 2011

1. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues

Helplessness Blues delivered everything I would have wanted from a sophomore Fleet Foxes album. Yes, it sounds different from the self-titled album we loved so much, but it's definitely no less enjoyable! With this second release, Fleet Foxes has developed a more assertive and direct sound without sacrificing
the vocal harmonies and organic, foresty instrumentation of their previous works! Not to mention, they are spectacular live!

2. M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

If you have seen me in the past week, you are not surprised this album made the list. Granted, it took me a while to actually give it a listen, but I now understand what the hype was about. It's not that I'm a slave to Pitchfork reviews, it's just that I agree this time! Everything about this album works for me, from the ballads to the soaring instrumental interludes, to even the dance tunes! I could (and HAVE- in the privacy of my own living room) dance to cuts like Reunion and OK Pal. This doesn't happen often. Seriously, if you don't like this album yet, try it again!

3. The Antlers - Burst Apart

Here's another band who avoided the "sophomore slump" this year. The Antlers' second release brings the same intensity and expressiveness as Hospice, but a little less heart-wrenching despair. While Hospice may be an album for a rainy, self-pity kind of day, I'd say Burst Apart is a lot lighter and more accessible. Check out these two songs!

4. Rubblebucket - Omega La La

Rubblebucket is great. They are quirky, fun and intriguing to listen to. Omega La La has this mellow, psychedelic dance vibe that's totally successful in my book. In fact, my biggest regret of the past couple years is failing to see Rubblebucket live! I've heard from several sources that their shows are superb! Oh well, I'm sure they'll be back.

5. tUnE-yArDs - w h o k i l l

As I mentioned in my first post, I'm glad I have grown to appreciate the sound of tUnE-yArDs. This second album features the percussive and ever-expressive vocal stylings of Merrill Garbus, as well as ukelele loops and weird horn interludes. While super eccentric at times, it does maintain a catchy-pop style as to not completely alienate the listener. tUnE-yArDs is a band I'd like to see at a music festival- their shows seem so entertaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment